I struggle each new year to do a proper amount of reflection versus a proper amount of looking forward. And once again, I’ve come up with a “word” for the year. Actually “words” is more appropriate:
Maybe I should call it my new mantra or something, I don’t know. But whatever I call it, I know it is how I want to live the next 12 months.
I’ve spent a LOT of time over the past few years not being fully present in my life. I’ve spent an awful lot of time thinking ahead to the next item on my “to do” list or being sidetracked by an email or text message when what I should be doing is focusing on the PERSON in front of me. That MUST change.
Looking back over 2012, I have to say it’s been a pretty good year.
1. Six book releases this calendar year. It’s been a real roller coaster. That I don’t plan to repeat. 🙂 Seriously, I’ve been thrilled with each release, but there has been a price. I’m not going to lie…I burned out. I cried and moaned and complained and swore that I couldn’t do it. In the end I did. I learned that sometimes being a “real” writer means sitting at the desk until it is done. Even when it hurts. Even when your eyes go bad and you have to get glasses (which I did). Even when you have to say “no” to a lot of fun stuff. So I learned a lesson. Just because you CAN doesn’t mean you SHOULD. Note to self: set limits. Life is really not a race.
2. Wonderful times with friends and family. There have been concerts (Willie Nelson, Celtic Woman, Carrie Underwood, The Civil Wars, Huey Lewis and the News) and get togethers. There has been a lot of laughter and a lot of stories shared and a lot of yummy food consumed. I am blessed beyond belief by the wonderful people in my life.
3. I ran 4 races this year and although I’m slow, I’m developing a real love for running. Wonders never cease!
4. I’m back in a marketing role at my job. Pausing here to say that loving your job makes your whole life better…
Goals for 2013 (besides BE PRESENT):
1. Continue to run. I say it every year…but I’m so hoping to do a half marathon. We’ll see if this is my “lucky” year.
2. Learn to relax. I take things WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. At least I know it though, right?
3. Travel. 2012 is the first year in a long time that I didn’t travel much. (quick trip to Dallas, but that’s about it) I am hoping 2013 will be full of new places and adventures.
4. Organize my house. (side note: I am a clutter bug and paper seems to multiply around me)Is it terribly wrong that sometimes I pray that God will let me end up marrying some fabulously organized man who will love to keep me organized and yet still be able to put up with the inevitable clutter I will collect? A girl can dream…
5. Read for pleasure. I miss reading. I just don’t get to do it as often as I used to. My shelves are FULL of wonderful looking books just waiting for me to open them.
6. Write something new. And by “new” I mean in a different genre. Not that I’m leaving romance behind…just that I’d love to try something else. I have many, many stories in my head just waiting to come out…and SOON.
So there you have it. My “welcome 2013” post. New years are always a bit daunting to me. Full of wonder. Filled to the brim with the unknown. I have a love/hate relationship with that. Because I know there will be some wonderfully amazing things that will happen this year. And there will also be some horrible, heart wrenching things. Reminds me of Ecclesiastes. There will be a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance.
And I suppose that is exactly the way it is supposed to be.
Happy New Year, friends. May 2013 be your best year yet!